We all know there’s way to much salt in those premade packets but what else is in there? There are way to many ingredient I can’t pronounce, not to mention they certainly didn’t come from a plant like my herbs and spices did. I like to make a big batch of Taco seasoning but sometimes you just need the same amount that comes in the packets or I do anyway 😉
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 heaping teaspoon onion powder
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Heaping 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- A pinch (or to taste) of red pepper flakes
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons of arrowroot powder to thicken it like the packets do.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, add to cooked meat (drain if needed) with 1 cup or water or broth.
This is a base recipe, sometimes I play around with it and add cumin or a little sugar for a sweet and spicy effect.
We had this tonight with about a pound of ground venison, a can of black beans and a can of corn. My daughter and I ate it with corn chips sort of like a taco chili and my husband had his in a tortilla.
Please use organic spices when at all possible. My local health food store has them in the bulk section for very reasonable prices! Hope you enjoy ❤️